This recipe is family friendly and has a secret ingredient that is very beneficial for your health. I love to sneak it in when I can. So many people think they don’t like okra but in this recipe, you can’t tell. If you are really watching your carb count, eliminate the beans or use a small can of beans. You can also use one can of the crushed tomatoes and some tomato paste mixed with water. My family eats it like it is and they love it. We top ours with some of the following: cheese, sour cream, diced onions, avocado, jalapenos and sugar-free ketchup. If you want more spice, increase the seasonings. Do you like your meals a little bit less spicy? Decrease the spice. I have a daughter who can’t eat mild salsa so I have had to make meals like this a little on the bland side and we add more when we are making our bowls. I hope your family likes this as much as mine do.
2 Lb Ground Beef
2 28 oz Cans of Crushed Tomatoes
1 Can of Rotel- diced tomatoes and green chilis
1 30 oz Can of Pinto Beans, rinsed and drained
1 Container of mushrooms, diced small
1 Medium or Large Onion
2 Cups of Frozen Okra
1 T Unsweetened Cocoa Powder
Salt and Pepper to taste
Chili powder, ground cumin, garlic powder, onion powder
1 Doonk of Stevia or other sweetener of choice
1. Brown ground beef. While ground beef is browning, dice onions and add to the pot.
2. Add seasonings of choice and mushrooms. Continue to cook and brown until everything is fully cooked.
3. Take one can of crushed tomatoes and pour into blender. Add okra and blend until no green specs remain.
4. Add okra tomato mixture, the other can of crushed tomatoes, can of diced tomatoes with green chilis, drained and rinsed beans, and cocoa powder.
5. Simmer for about 15 minutes. Taste and adjust as needed. I added more salt, chili powder and garlic powder. Season for your family’s tastes and top with your favorite toppings.