It is starting to be soup season here in Texas. Soup isn’t necessarily my kids favorite meal so it isn’t something I serve 3 or 4 times a week but I can successfully add it for 2 nights and not get complaints. Before I started eating the Trim Healthy Mama way, potato soup was almost a weekly addition when it was cold. I loved to make cornbread to serve with it. Those are really no-go’s with my current way of eating. Can I eat an occasional potato soup? Yes, but it isn’t on my menu with the frequency of the past. Looking for ways to make on plan delicious soups isn’t that hard. Finding ways to sneak in veggies, maybe that can be my new hobby. I have found that finely diced mushrooms that get added to browned meat with seasonings, is undetectable. I have made taco meat like this so many times and no one knows. When it comes to soup like this with no detectable veggies, this is a perfect way to get it in. I also like to add a bag of riced cauliflower to the soup and it seems to mostly dissolve into the broth. Give it a try and let me know how it works for you. This is also part of my make ahead meals. I made this soup in a prep 5 low carb meals in an hour session. This works great for that. You can even freeze the browned meat with veggies if you like.
1lb Ground beef
1/2 Package of mushrooms, diced
1/2 Cup diced Bell Pepper
1 Medium Onion, diced
10 oz Can of Diced Tomatoes and Green Chilies (Rotel)
8oz Package of Cream Cheese, reduced fat works fine Cube the cream cheese for easier melting
32oz of Beef stock
1 Package of Frozen Riced Cauliflower
Salt and Pepper to taste
Garlic Powder to taste
1 Cup of Shredded cheddar cheese
Diced green onion, around 3 or so
4 Pieces of cooked and crumbled bacon
1. Brown ground beef. If your meat was fatty, drain and you can rinse if you think it needs to be rinsed.
2. Add diced onion, bell pepper and mushrooms to browned beef. Cook until the veggies are cooked through. Season with the seasonings. If you are making this ahead for a meal prep, stop here.
3. Add cubed cream cheese and stir to melt some. Add canned tomatoes with green chilies, beef stock and riced cauliflower. Stir and allow mixture to get hot and the cream cheese to melt.
4. Put on low or medium low and allow soup to continue to cook for 15-20 minutes. Taste and adjust seasonings as wanted. I like a little smoked paprika or liquid smoke. Make this taste how you want it to. Add a little cayenne if you like heat, maybe top the bowls with some diced pickled jalapenos.
5. When finished simmering, top bowls with shredded cheese, some diced green onions and crumbled bacon.