This is one of those recipes that is sure to become a family favorite. It is fast to put together (it is part of my prepping 5 dinners in an hour series) and easy. The chicken is seasoned just right and browned on each side. You add sliced onions and mushrooms to the skillet to cook and soften. Add a little broth or water to the skillet to scrape up any bits in the pan to add to the chicken. It comes together so fast that you can make this on a busy night and relax while the dish bakes in the oven, or prep for the next day. I often take that time to prep meals for the next day while dinner is cooking. Whatever you do, dinner will be delicious. I served this with the most delicious brussels sprouts recipe I have ever made. Recipe is coming soon.
3 T Olive Oil, divided
8 oz Sliced Mushrooms
1 Large Onion, sliced
3-4 Chicken Breasts, if large cut in half.
1 t Salt
1/2 t Black Pepper
! T Garlic Powder
3/4 t Smoked Paprika
1/2 t Italian Seasoning
1 C Shredded Mozzarella
Dried Parsley to sprinkle on top
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
2. If your chicken breasts are really fat, you might want to butterfly them or at least, flatten with a mallet. The larger, fatter the chicken breast, the longer they will take to cook.
3. Take a large skillet and put it over medium high heat. Mix all of your seasonings in a small bowl. Sprinkle one side of your chicken with half of the seasoning.
4. Add 1 1/2 T of olive oil to your warm skillet and add the seasoned side chicken to the pan. Sprinkle the top of the chicken breasts with the other half of the chicken.
5. Brown chicken for 4 minutes on each side. Place seared chicken in a baking dish.
6. Add the other 1 1/2 T of olive oil to the skillet and add the sliced mushrooms and sliced onion. Cook for about 4 minutes, until soft but not necessarily cooked through.
7. Pour on top of the chicken breasts. Add 2 T broth to skillet to scrape any browned bits left behind from the chicken or the onion and mushrooms. Pour this over the chicken.
8. Sprinkle mozzarella and parsley on top.
9. Bake for 35 minutes or until chicken is cooked through.